At the Bayou La Batre Community Center, Alliance Institute grantee Boat People SOS-Bayou La Batre held a Community Wellness Fair on Saturday, August 23, 2014. The event was cosponsored by Bayou Clinic, Mostellar Medical Center, Franklin Primary Care Centers , Mobile County Health Department and University of South Alabama’s Coastal Resource & Resiliency Center and Gulf Coast Behavioral Health & Resiliency Center.
More than 225 people came out to learn about health and wellness resources in the area.
- Bayou Clinic offered free screenings for diabetes, hypertension and obesity.
- Franklin’s mobile dental unit provided dental services, demonstrating this versatile program’s potential for reaching underserved communities.
- Families were able to get flu shots, apply on-site for food assistance and even assure that their child car safety seats were properly installed.
- Eye exams for kids and free school supplies were available to make sure children in the community start the academic year off right.
- Additionally, representatives from the Gulf Region Health Outreach Program participated to inform the community about their initiatives in coastal Alabama.