On Saturday, July 26, 2014 Alliance grantee BISCO and Project Learn La-Terre hosted a Children’s Health Fair at the Ward 7 Citizen’s Club in Chauvin, LA. Over 450 children received important resources including school supplies, uniforms, and school physicals. Those children brought along more than 200 parents who were able to receive screenings and information about their health.
There were eye exams, dental care kits and food for the whole family, and parents were able to learn about their risk for various chronic diseases and how to self-screen for breast and testicular cancer.
Throughout the event there were raffle drawings, including gift cards to restaurants and retail outlets for the whole family as well as backpack and toys for the kids.
In addition, partners and grantees of the Gulf Region Health Outreach Program (GRHOP) exhibited information about their work and services in the area.
- Louisiana Public Health Institute (LPHI) shared smoking cessation resources.
- Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine recruited community members to participate in their Gulf Resilience on Women’s Health study.
- Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center promoted the mental and behavioral health services they provide.
- Alliance Institute shared information about the role of community involvement in the development of GRHOP.
- And LPHI grantee Teche Action Board – an operator of Community Health Centers – informed the community of how and where to access their services as well as forthcoming clinic openings in Lafourche Parish.